A fresh and chewy salad, that can be also the main dish.
2 cups of quinoa (mix of red and white quinoa)
4 cups of water
1/4 cup of Olive oil
1 basil sprig
1 Orange (juice and zest)
1 Lemon (juice and zest)
1 tbsp mustard
1/4 cup of dried cranberries
1/4 shelled pistachios
4 cups Arugula
1 tbsp Parsley
1 tsp Cumin
2 Thyme sprig
- Wash and boil the quinoa over medium heat for 35 mins or until the water is absorbed.
- Chop and dice all the herbs and vegetables: cucumbers, scallions, parsley, and basil. Keep them separate.
- Juice and zest the orange and the lemon.
- Heat the oil over medium heat and toss in the thyme to flavor the oil.
- Add the onion to cook it down for 2 minutes.
- Add the hot oil in the quinoa and mix gently.
- Make the dressing by mix the mustard and the oil with the orange & lemon juice.
- Add the veggies, the zest, and the herbs.
- Add the quinoa and let it absorb the dressing.
- Serve chilled with the chopped pistachios and the arugula.
- As it is true with many recipes, the sky is the limit. Add the flavorings and spices you like.
- As a side dish is great next to pork or chicken.
- Use a pair of chopsticks to stir the quinoa so you won’t mush the grains
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 257 kcal
- Sugar: 2.7 g
- Sodium: 322 mg
- Fat: 11.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 9.8 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.5 g
- Fiber: 4.0 g
- Protein: 7.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: salad, quinoa, fresh, gluten free