So it is christmas again. and then New Years, and since Thanksgiving I had no posts. Things at work got bussy and cooking wise I was overdosed. I will be back soon with a few great recipes for cookies and a series I am preparing on the basics of fastfood. But, one thing I need share with you is the food of the thanksgiving. And some of the recipes. Most of them have been featured on the blog. Some of them are secrets and will not be shared.
The glorious Turkey. The recipe is at secret, but there is really nothing magic to it.
- The whole secret, is concentrated to the brine. In a galon of water we add 1 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of salt. That will penetrate the meat and flavor it. Since we are in the flavor department, it is good idea to add other flavors. I add in this one celery, onion, carrots, garlic and spices (that s the secret).
- I cool the brine overnight and if needed I add ice.
- The next night I put the brine in a bucket, I add the turkey at I leave it in the brine for at least overnight, but no more than 24 hours. Danger of bacterial growth.
- I take it out, strain her over the budget and wipe her it dry. Place it on a rack, with some celery, onions and carrots just for flavor.
- In the cavity I add rosemary, sage, onion and an apple roughly chopped.
- Add some water in the pan to prevent burning and charing of the veggies. Bake in 500 F oven for 20 minutes. Lower the temperature to 350 F and cover with aluminum foil until the temperature at the thickest part fo the breast hits 165 F.
This is the corn bread, and although I am not a southerner I still like it much. Just mix together the following ingredients.
- 3 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon kosher salT
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup creamed corn
Add to 2 tablespoons of canola oil in 12 in cast iron skillet and heat in the oven at 400 F till you get it to sizzle. Add the batter and bake tin it becomes gold brown and reach the 200 F.
World famous spinach pie. The recipe is here.
My superb mashers. The recipe is coming soon.
My stuffing. I already have the recipe here.
So there you have all you need for a successful Thanksgiving or other big meals.